KIWI Mk2

I/C ENGINE BUILD

Part 7 By Vince Cutajar

I was looking at the two engine supports and thinking that they look bland. I needed to spruce them up a bit. Various ideas came to mind but the one which I sort of liked was to engrave the name of the engine on each support. Just one problem, actually BIG problem. I don't have CNC.

So I kept thinking about it and came up with a plan.

I went on the computer and wrote the name of the engine in a Word textbox roughly the size of the support. I used Arial as a font and played around with a font size till I got what I needed. I also made sure that all the letters used straight lines. Printed them, cut them and glued them to the aluminium.

I used a 3mm ball nose mill and the groove on the left in the third photo is 0.5mm deep (for the large font size) and the one on the right is 0.25m deep for the smaller font size.

I did the straight vertical lines on one of them (forth photo). I had to take into account the thickness of the paper and glue. So for the large font I went to a depth of 0.6mm and for the other one 0.35mm. The plan is to paint the grooves ( I was thinking red ) and then mill the face.

Faced off both supports and this is the result. Not perfect but passable. I think I can live with it for now. Would I do it again? Don't think so.
Finished the two supports and fitted to the crankcase. Now it can stand on its two feet.
I spotted the holes for the crankcase bearing. I then inverted the crankcase and skimmed the bottom of the supports so that they will be parallel with the cylinder platform (photo 1). I then put the crankcase on the granite surface plate and with the help of a 10mm silver steel rod I marked the position of the camshaft hole (photos 2, 3 and 4). I also marked the centre line on the cylinder platform.
Drilled and reamed some holes in the rear crankcase casting. First dismantled the crankcase and clamped the rear crankcase casting to the mill table. First hole I needed to do was for the camshaft. Centre drilled, drilled and reamed the 8mm hole in the timing cover (photo 1). I then removed the timing cover and at the same setting, centre drilled drilled and reamed another 8mm hole in the crankcase (photo 2). I then drilled and reamed two 5mm vent holes in the casting (photo 3). Put the casting on the surface plate and marked the spot for the tappet guide hole (photo 4).
I then located the 10mm crankshaft hole I had in the timing cover and opened it up to 11mm.
For the camshaft bushes I used a piece of bronze that came with the kit and turned both bushes. I then drilled and reamed a 5mm hole in each bush and then pressed both bushes in their respective places. The long bush in the timing cover and the short one in the crankcase. I don't have a press so used the mill to press the bushes.
I fitted the timing cover to the crankcase to check if a piece of 5mm silver steel passes through both bushes. No problems.

Part one  part two  part three  part four  part five  part six  part seven  part eight  part nine  10   11   12   13   14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27